Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: webmin 0.91 ../.. problem

From: Mark van Reijn <mark () edup tudelft nl>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 12:19:12 +0100

Hello all,

Had to doublecheck this, being a rabid webmin promoter.
No, you cannot access the URL without first logging in. So far so good.
Second, within webmin it is possible to restrict users, and this bug is still
restricted by the webmin ACL system.
I was NOT able to read the shadow file without having access to the
module "Bootup and Shutdown".

With this module you can control the complete init process, reboot, halt etc
etc so it will probably be only accessible by trusted users...

Greetz,

Mark

KF <dotslash () snosoft com> said:

On 0.85  I was simply prompted for the user and password... I have one
question were you already
logged into webmin prior to typing this url? I want to know if it first
requires authentication to
access the cgi scripts... I suspect it does and that your credentials
were cached?
-KF

"A. Ramos" wrote:

        Hello,

        I find bug on webmin 0.91.
<SNIP>

http://www.domain.com:10000/servers/link.cgi/1008341480/init/edit_action.cgi?
0+../../../../../etc/shadow

The problem reside on init/edit_action.cgi:
<snip>
        open(FILE, $file);
        while(<FILE>) {
                $data .= $_;