Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: SpiDynamics WebInspect - Keeping Track of its Users?

From: "Caleb Sima" <csima () spidynamics com>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 00:20:40 -0500

I can understand DB's concern and I apologize to DB that the support and
sales people that he spoke to did not elevate this up to the proper
individuals to answer his questions properly.
(No developers actually spoke to DB)

We make no effort to hide that this remote authentication is done.

After registering for a download from our website an email is sent to the
user
describing how to use webinspect. Pasted below is an excerpt from that
message.

SUPPORT & SERVICE

As a WebInspect pilot user, your current trial license allows you to scan
up to 5 devices and is valid for 2 weeks.  If you have any questions or
comments on installing or running the software please contact our support
desk at support () spidynamics com or call 1-866-SPI-2700 (M-F, 9 - 5
Eastern).

Note: An active Internet connection is needed to authenticate. If you are
located behind a proxy, set your IE settings to point to your proxy.

Below is an excerpt from our logfile on exactly what we log from the user.

GET /spiAuth/spiAuth.spi
Action=Auth&Key=NkYCBMFFEXLrTXeHUHH8&LastDate=2/4/2001+1:22:14+AM&IP=2.2.2.
2 200 >Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+5.01;+Windows+NT+5.0) -

Broken up this is:
Action=: This says whether the user is updating the product or just
authorizing use
Key=: This is the users key id that was given to them to use the product.
LastDate=: This is the date and time that the authorization took place
IP=: This is the ip address of what the user is attempting to scan

This remote authentication is used only on demo keys and is used to keep
users from abusing the product and scanning sites that they are not
authorized to scan. If spidynamics notices a user scanning a site that
is illegal this allows us to cut off access to the product immediatly.
If anyone would actually want to take the time to look at the authentication
themselves to verify this,
just add a hosts entry to download.spidynamics.com and point the ip address
to an SSL webserver.

Caleb Sima
CTO
SPIDynamics Inc.