Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: WIN2000 and IIS

From: Marc Fossi <mfossi () securityfocus com>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:21:18 -0600 (MDT)

I tested this here in the lab.

Fresh install of Windows 2000 Advanced Server onto a 5gig clean NTFS
partition.  I accepted all the default settings.  During installation,
when I was asked to select installation components, I unchecked IIS and
continued with installation.

After installation was complete, I checked Services and found no IIS
services to be installed or running.

To test a suggestion someone else had made to Focus-MS, I went into
Add/Remove Programs and selected Add/Remove Windows components.  From
there, I went into the Networking Components list and checked COM Internet
Services Proxy.  When I clicked Ok and was back at the top-level component
selection screen, IIS had automatically been checked off.  If I attempted
to uncheck IIS, a message dialog popped up stating that another component
I was trying to install was dependant on IIS and listed COM Internet
Services Proxy as the component.

I don't believe that this is a bug or a vulnerability, just something to
pay attention to when installing any software or components.

Marc Fossi, MCSE
SecurityFocus
www.securityfocus.com