Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Wvdial insecure conf?

From: "Black, Braden" <BBlack () VSCat com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 10:46:35 -0400

Actually, the wvdialconf program doesn't put your password into the file for
you (at least as of wvdial v1.41).  You must manually edit the
/etc/wvdial.conf file and put it in there yourself.  However, as
workarounds, you have a couple of options:
1) Run wvdial suid root, and chmod 600 the wvdial.conf file.  I don't know
about you, but I'm leary of doing things this way unless absolutely
necessary.
2) Give your primary group write access to /dev/modem (usually /dev/ttyS0 or
/dev/ttyS1), chgrp the /etc/wvdial.conf to your primary group, and chmod it
640.
3) *Recommended* Don't put your password in /etc/wvdial.conf.  Use the "Ask
Password = 1" directive instead.  This will prompt you for your password,
instead of storing in the file.  The other information in /etc/wvdial.conf
really isn't that sensitive.

-Braden