Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: HTML email "bug", of sorts.

From: Thor () HammerofGod com
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:22:37 -0700

Under Outlook, this isn't possible.

This is a kludge, and I know it is a kludge, but there are some things you
can do...  I don't expect people to roll this out corporately, but it is an
option, albeit awkward.  It all depends on how much you hate html mail and
what your choices for client email programs are.

In Outlook, you can use Message Rules to move emails with "Content-Type:
text/html;" or "Content-Type: multipart/alternative;" to a HTML folder.
This move does not 'preview' the mail, and links are not parsed.  We use ISA
server; the new firewall client can be enabled/disabled at will without a
reboot (the MSProxy 2.0 Winsock proxy client did not allow you to do this
w/o a reboot).  When you get a few html mails in your special folder, just
disable the fw client (preventing outbound connections) and view the mail.
If you get html mail internally, you can allow that in to your Inbox with
some more creative rules.

There were other things we did where we forwarded mail to another box and
then used the run-as to view them under user creds that could get the mail
but not make net connections, but that was really a kludge and I am almost
embarrassed to bring it up.  From an academic standpoint though, it did
provide some interesting alternatives...

hth

AD