Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: HTML email "bug", of sorts.

From: Thor () HammerofGod com
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 16:49:27 -0700

(as I've mentioned before, MS has known about this hole since before SP2)
Cheers

... as have the rest of us.

I would not call NTLMSSP's behavior a "hole."  It's just doing its job.
Properly configured firewalls block 139/445 at the interface where packets
are routed to public/untrusted networks.  You have brought this up a couple
of times here, but I'm not really sure what you are on about.  This is
expected, by-design behavior.

While I can conceptualize a configuration where each workstation has a table
of addresses from which to identify possible hosts to authenticate to (an
NTLM LAT if you will), I prefer to save the cycles and have this addressed
where it belongs- at the border (or as close to home as necessary).  People
constantly bash Microsoft for not having a "real" operating system, yet
demand to have each potential security issue addressed in the OS itself-
something that would take control further and further away from the admin.

That is the skinny on that.
Attonbitus Deus
Thor () HammerofGod Com