Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Xerox N40 printers and Code Red worm

From: "Karsten M. Self" <kmself () ix netcom com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 23:19:24 -0700

on Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 10:29:29PM -0400, der Mouse (mouse () Rodents Montreal QC CA) wrote:
Also COMPLAIN VEHEMENTLY about the lack of ACLs on [these Xerox]
printers.  [...]  So I say buy HP instead!

Is HP any better?  I have a IIIsi and haven't found any way to stop it
from taking print jobs from anyone who can connect to port 9100, so I
have had to put it in the RFC1918 part of the house LAN.  Annoying.

HPLJ4 w/JetDirect has an option to restrict IP range from which jobs are
accepted.  Telnet to printer for configuration.  Not sure if IIIsi has
similar configuration.

--
Karsten M. Self <kmself () ix netcom com>          http://kmself.home.netcom.com/