Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: UW c-client library vulnerability

From: Jakub Bogusz <qboosh () PRIORIS MINI PW EDU PL>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 22:41:17 +0200

On Fri, Sep 01, 2000 at 07:53:22PM +0300, Juhapekka Tolvanen wrote:
It seems, that c-client libraries by University of Washington have
some bug(s), that makes some programs that depend upon those libraries
go crazy. AFAIK affected programs include at least Pine (read "pain"),
ipop3d and IMAPD. And those programs and libraries are commonly used in
Unixes. I don't know, if any patch, fix, work-around etc. exist.

 * * *

Problem was caused by my X-Keywords-header, that serves as so called spook line
(Hello, NSA! :-) ):

lesbo, homo, lesbian, anarchism, nazi, communism, CIA, bomb, nuclear, Semtex,
satan, traitor, pedophile

[...]

I've been fighting this problem all day too.  Pine blows up when you try
to save the INBOX back out with any changes.  (I'm using fetchmail and
plain vanilla mail spool files.)  It was driving me nuts.  Thanks for
posting.  (I saved a copy of my mailbox and will pick through it with a
fine-tooth comb later.)

pine crashes with "header size inconsistant" during saving mailbox if any
message contains X-Keywords line split in 2 or more lines...
Your post (maybe processed by MTA) contained 2-line X-Keywords so my
pine crashed... and I could find why. (and had finally motivation to
configure Mutt ;))

X-Keywords is processed in 2 functions:
mail_filter() (in imap/src/c-client/mail.c) filters out X-Keywords line
and seems to handle multi-line keywords correctly
unix_parse() (in imap/src/osdep/unix/unix.c) probably doesn't handle
multi-line keywords
Different results (different header sizes) causes pine crash.

The same may apply to X-UID, X-Status and Status header (I haven't test,
so I'm not sure).

imap uses the same c-client library, so the same condition may cause
imap crash.

--
Jakub Bogusz
http://prioris.mini.pw.edu.pl/~qboosh/