Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: PalmOS password recovery

From: Mudge <mudge () L0PHT COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:58:04 -0500

Try looking more closely at the notsync program. This enables an auditing
team or person to walk around with their own palm pilot and, upon finding
a non-guarded palm pilot, fake the hotsync negotiation over the IR port
and retrieve the password.

Often it is much more important to retrieve the password that a person has
chosen for future use in a threat scenario than to just go after the files
on the PDA device.

This is different in future threat vectors than simply wiping the password
or slurping down the files without learning how this individual chooses to
keyspace in passwords.

This has been our experience at least. Empirical evidence leads us to
believe that most people in organizations do not choose unique
passwords for each device they are using. Hence we thought it worth an
advisory.

Hope that helped.

cheers,

.mudge