Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: The DF Bit Playground (Identifying Sun Solaris & OpenBSD OSs)

From: "Walsh, Andrew" <Andrew_Walsh () ASC AON COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 17:32:59 -0500

Since Sun Solaris answer for an ICMP address mask request and OpenBSD does
not, we can distinguish between those operating systems as well (they both
answer for ICMP Timestamp request).

This is a simple operating system fingerprinting method, which does not
require additional and unusual patterns to be set.

You can disable both ICMP address mask request and ICMP Timestamp (broadcast and
unicast) under Solaris with ndd.  The commands are:

ndd -set /dev/ip ip_respond_to_address_mask_broadcast 0
ndd -set /dev/ip ip_respond_to_timestamp_broadcast 0
ndd -set /dev/ip ip_respond_to_timestamp 0

These are recommended by Sun (along with other fun ndd commands) in their
"Solaris Operating Environment Network Settings for Security By Alex
Noordergraaf and Keith Watson", a Sun Blueprint available at
http://www.sun.com/blueprints.

Andrew Walsh

"My thoughts are my own, not my companies"