Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: tmpwatch: local DoS : fork()bomb as root

From: stanislav shalunov <shalunov () INTERNET2 EDU>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 20:44:04 -0400

zenith parsec <zenith_parsec () THE-ASTRONAUT COM> writes:

 Any user with write access to /tmp or /var/tmp can cause redhat 6.1 (and
others runnng tmpwatch from cron) to stop responding, and possibly requre
a hard reboot.

The is one of the kinds of vulnerabilities that stmpclean has been
designed to avoid.

ftp://ftp.mccme.ru/users/shalunov/stmpclean-0.1.tar.gz

--
Stanislav Shalunov                                              Internet2

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying that I
approved of it."                                -- Mark Twain