Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft NT "un-removable user" Vulnerability.

From: John Lange <lists () DARKCORE NET>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 10:00:39 -0500

After your email, I retested this in NT4 SP6a and it is still true.

Using a custom user managment tool, I added the user "testuser;" (no
quotes). I then tried to remove the user using the Microsoft Provided "User
Manager". It reports an error "The user name or group name parameter is
invalid".

I then tried "net user testuser; /delete" and it also refused saying "The
syntax of this command is..."

If I'm using the command incorrectly, please let me know. I'm not sure how
to escape characters in NT (I also tried "net user testuser\; /delete" and
various other forms but none worked.

John Lange