Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: FreeBSD 4.x Bug with ICMP Error Messages

From: Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai () FREEBSD ORG>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:00:24 +0200

-On [20001016 07:00], Ofir Arkin (ofir () ITCON-LTD COM) wrote:
It is long known that FreeBSD uses a wrong IP Identification number
with its ICMP Error Messages. This fact was discovered by Fyodor
long ago.

[snip]

FreeBSD 4.x simply flips between the first 8bits to the second 8
bits.

This problem was fixed by Ruslan Ermilov <ru () freebsd org> when the
problem was brought to our attention by means of a Problem Report [PR].
If I remember everything correctly, this is fixed in 4-STABLE and
5-CURRENT since early August.

We encourage users to update to 4-STABLE if this programming mistake
causes any problems for them.

HTH,

--
Jeroen Ruigrok vd Werven/Asmodai    asmodai@[wxs.nl|bart.nl|freebsd.org]
Documentation nutter/C-rated Coder BSD: Technical excellence at its best