Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Samba 2.0.7 SWAT vulnerabilities

From: Patrik Sternudd <patrik.sternudd () COPPER SE>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 10:32:23 +0100

You can create the generic* account in the FW-1
users rule base to get rid of this behaviour.

generic* triggers on all user names that has not
been explicitly defined. This works with versions
4.0 and 4.1 at least, I don't know if it applies
to earlier versions as well.

So I wouldn't say this is a design error/bug, it's
more of a implementation issue.

But yes, if you do not deploy the generic*,
then you're vulnerable for this type of
user database fingerprinting.

Regards,

Patrik Sternudd