Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: [nohack] Yet another way to disguise files.

From: mock () ACTIVESTATE COM (mock () ACTIVESTATE COM)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 19:34:14 -0700

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 01:59:18PM -0700, Dan Harkless wrote:
Ron DuFresne <dufresne () WINTERNET COM> writes:
Has anyone verified if this is also the case on NT boxen?

Yes -- I did my testing on NT 4.0 Service Pack 5.

One thing I've discovered since I made the NeverShowExt -> AlwaysShowExt
changes mentioned by the original author is that all shortcuts now have .lnk
on the ends of their names.  Kind of annoying (wish NTFS was a real file
system that allowed links without this "hide the file extension" hack).

Get ActivePerl 5.6 at http://www.activestate.com

perl -e "link 'c:\\perl\\bin\\perl.exe', 'c:\\winnt\\profiles\\mock\\desktop\\perl.exe'"

works much like a unix hardlink and can get rid of at least a few (the ones
that don't require params) of your .lnk files

works with UNC path names as well

mock