Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ZoneAlarm

From: lsherer () ZONELABS COM (Larz Sherer)
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 18:50:18 -0000

This is the company position on the Port 67 issue....

The port 67 vulnerability has been eliminated.  The
upgraded version of ZoneAlarm contains the fix and is
available from http://www.zonelabs.com/download_ZA.htm

Previously, ZoneAlarm did not prevent TCP or UDP packets
from entering the computer through port 67.  Port 67 was
deliberately left open to avoid instabilities encountered
on Windows NT machines using DHCP.

We felt confident that this did not compromise your
security or the security of our other users.  ZoneAlarm, in
addition to its firewall capabilities, provides protection
against hackers through its unique application control
feature.  Our product only allows applications the user
specifically approves to communicate via the Internet.
Even if a port appears to be open for traffic from the
outside, it is in fact closed to all unauthorized traffic.
Therefore port 67 could not (and cannot) be co-opted
unknowingly into communicating your private information to
a hacker via a Trojan horse.  Our two measures of security
taken together provide the utmost protection for our
users.

Best regards
Zone Labs Support