Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Local Denial-of-Service attack against Linux

From: sullivan () SIKUREZZA ORG (Gigi Sullivan)
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 09:04:39 +0200

Aiee:)

        Hello!

This amusing little program will hang Linux 2.2.12 (default Red Hat 6.1),
2.2.14 (latest stable kernel) and 2.3.99-pre2 (latest development kernel)
on my 6x86 scratch machine and our various Pentium development machines.
Note that this does not require any special privileges.

The send system call immediately puts the kernel in a loop spewing
kmalloc: Size (131076) too large
forever (or until you hit the reset button).

[snip]

        I here enclose a very easy little kernel patch that should fix
        this problem.
        This is a temporary fix, tho.

        I'm not sure this is the right way to do it and probably this could
        break some actual behaviour (see the comments).
        I apologize; Still learning kernel internals.

bye bye

                                                -- gg sullivan

P.S.

Advices, correction, bug fixes :) are really wellcome.

--
Lorenzo Cavallaro       `Gigi Sullivan' <sullivan () sikurezza org>

Until I loved, life had no beauty;
I did not know I lived until I had loved. (Theodor Korner)

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>text/plain attachment: dos_patch_
</UL>