Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: NAI WebShield SMTP does not scan base64 encoding

From: chris.paget () ANALYSYS COM (chris.paget () ANALYSYS COM)
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:32:57 GMT

Sorry to harp on about this, but I think my point has been missed.

MS-TNEF is ***NOT*** being used!

I'm sending the messages from a mail client called Agent, from Forte
inc.  AFAIK, the only product that uses MS-TNEF is Outlook - which is
not being used.

The actual viruses are being picked up.  The problem is that I wish to
block ALL scriptable files, so that in the time between a virus
outbreak and an updated DAT being released, my network is not at risk.

I have the WebShield server set up to automatically bounce any message
with a VBScript attachment - regardless of whether or not it contains
a known virus.  When the attached file is 8-bit encoded, this is
happening correctly; when the file is base64 encoded, the VBS file is
passed by the attachment filters, which should be bouncing it.  So, my
cunning plan of protecting the network while NAI are working on a DAT
fails - the virus can get through anyway.

I appreciate the messages about MS-TNEF, but it's really not the
problem here.  Virus detection is, as far as I can tell, working
correctly.  It's the attachment name-matching filters that are broken
when base64 encoding is used.

Chris

--
Chris Paget