Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: NAI WebShield SMTP does not scan base64 encoding

From: chris.paget () ANALYSYS COM (chris.paget () ANALYSYS COM)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 18:52:28 GMT

MS-TNEF is not used at any point in the process; neither is Outlook,
nor Rich Text.  The messages are plain text (a renamed copy of my
autoexec.bat) being sent using Forte Agent - nothing Microsoft.  The
MIME types I have tried include application/octet-stream and
text/plain - in neither case is the VBS / SHS file blocked.  The only
difference that I can see between this setup and another machine using
Outlook (from which messages get blocked) is the encoding type -
base64 instead of 8bit.
If the attachment is indeed a known virus, it appears to be detected
and cleaned; however, I am trying to block ALL potentially malicious
attachments, and base64 encoding appears to circumvent those checks.

Chris

--
Chris Paget
Software Engineer, Analysys LTD.