Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: DoS for web by failing reverse DNS?

From: shadow () DEMENTIA ORG (Derrick J Brashear)
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:48:13 -0400

On Fri, 16 Jun 2000, Meelis Roos wrote:

A few weeks ago I set up a VPN tunnel and tunneled 16 IP addresses onto a
LAN. At the time none of these addresses reverse-resolved to anything.

I noticed upon connecting to some web servers that a connection was opened
and then hung forever, while others were fine. Some experimentation showed

You may be hit by a Path MTU discovery problem because VPN usually
decreases maximal available MTU: http://www.worldgate.com/~marcs/mtu/

Further exploration reveals that this is apparently the problem.
Interestingly there were a small number of web servers which were
initially unaccessible which became accessible shortly after the IP
addresses began reverse-resolving to something, but this may also be a
result of a path mtu change; As I can prove nothing in that vein at this
point, I'm content to assume I'm suffering only from the known issue above
rather than that I stumbled upon a new problem.

Thanks for your pointers, all of you.

-D