Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: IBM HTTP SERVER / APACHE (DoS)

From: hdm () SECUREAUSTIN COM (H D Moore)
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:24:43 -0500

Hi,

While I was poking around looking for more vulberabilities, I noticed
that sending a request like:

        GET /DIR/.../ HTTP/1.0

would give me the same response as GET /DIR/ HTTP/1.0
So I sent off a request that looked like this:

        GET /DIR/%2e%2e%2e%00%2e%2e HTTP/1.0

and the server told me /DIR/... was not found...
And finally I tried:

        GET /DIR/%2e%2f%2e%2e%2e HTTP/1.0

And the server simple crashed, burned, and stopped accepting
connections.  Whether the DoS was triggered by the earlier request
containing the null character or the single %2e%2f sequence is unknown.
Since I did not have access to the test machine's console, I dont know
what the impact besides the obvious DoS is...

Anyone running one of these and feel like playing?

-HD

http://www.secureaustin.com (spidermap/nlog/etc)

Marek Roy wrote:

I haven't seen any advisories for IBM HTTP SERVER running
Apache.

There is a crucial number of "/" (forward slash) you can
use to retrieve the contents of the root directory of this
particular Web Server.  Using this vulnerability, you can
retrieve any files or scripts running from that directory
and sub-directories.
[ snip ]
Marek Roy