Bugtraq mailing list archives

Mcafee Alerting DOS vulnerability

From: schmilllson () HOTMAIL COM (Harry Schmilllson)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 15:28:07 PDT

This is my first post to the list.  Hope it's on traq!

I have found that the alerting mechanism in Mcafee's VirusScan 4.03 could
allow any network user to create unlimited "alerts" and send them to the
Central Alert server(s).  The alerts from Win9X clients are in the form of a
formatted text file.  This file includes info such as user name, computer
name, virus name, etc...  A malicious user could format this text file and
insert any info desired including existing or non-existent usernames,
computer names, virus names etc....  The alert server receives these
messages in a share with everyone create, write and delete access.  This
could be used in some very interesting ways!