Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Kerberos security vulnerability in SSH-1.2.27

From: atossava () CC HELSINKI FI (Atro Tossavainen)
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 17:27:13 +0300

Dear Jake,

Just posting to note that there is indeed a ssh-1.2.28 release, but lo!
also a 1.2.29.

And now, also a 1.2.30. This fixes bugs reported ages ago:

* the server accepting unsupported ciphers (notably "none") if so
  requested by clients, even though the server itself wasn't compiled
  with "--with-none";

* a syslog handle hogging bug that would cause problems on large
  multi-user IRIX machines;

* and another bug that would sometimes truncate scp transfers.

The license issues remain as you said.

Question for the Group: isn't the version 1.x license the only reason for
the 1.5 protocol's continued use? (aside from compatibility reasons,
which could probably be cleaned up were it not for the ver 2.x license)

Compatibility reasons indeed. For example, there is no AFS support for
2.x. I am aware of the fact that the support in 1.x is third-party.

Are there other free SSH2 clients than OpenSSH? Particularly, anything
for anything else but UNIX? That might also be an issue.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.), Systems Analyst, contact info at URL, +358-9-19158939
The Institute of Biotechnology at the University of Helsinki, Finland employs