Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: cvs security problem

From: Tanaka Akira <akr () M17N ORG>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 19:32:49 +0900

In article <200007281820.OAA09553 () multics mit edu>,
  Kev <klmitch () mit edu> writes:

From the CVS info page (Node: Password authentication security):

     The separate CVS password file (*note Password authentication
  server::) allows people to use a different password for repository
  access than for login access.  On the other hand, once a user has
  non-read-only access to the repository, she can execute programs on the
  server system through a variety of means.  Thus, repository access
  implies fairly broad system access as well.  It might be possible to
  modify CVS to prevent that, but no one has done so as of this writing.

(cvs version 1.10.7; I'd be suprised if .8 has changed that much in this
respect.)

Yes.  But cvs.texinfo has also:

|    Note also that the commit and update programs work ONLY when using
| local repository access - the files simply aren't created when sources
| are checked out from a pserver or other remote CVS.

So, at least Checkin.prog and Update.prog should not work with remote
repository even if there are other way to execute arbitrary
programs...

(Or, the document should be fixed.)
--
Tanaka Akira