Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: StackGuard with ... Re: [Paper] Format bugs.

From: "Dick St.Peters" <stpeters () NETHEAVEN COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:23:31 +0000

Greg A. Woods writes:
A true fix requires something that would change the language definition
in a more fundamental way.  I think the best idea would be to revise the
calling conventions used for functions with variable numbers of
arguments (or perhaps all functions) and defining a new varargs/stdards
API (complete with error handling) that can be made a part of the
language definition such that a function can discern, at run time, the
number of, and type of, parameters it was called with. ...

The DEC VAX had an argument count as part of the hardware architecture.

I found this argument count very useful in a stack-walking program in
about 1982 ...

Providing a would-be cracker with additional information like argument
counts (or, I'll venture, argument types) is not much of a solution.

--
Dick St.Peters, stpeters () NetHeaven com
Gatekeeper, NetHeaven, Saratoga Springs, NY