Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: StackGuard with ... Re: [Paper] Format bugs.

From: Theo de Raadt <deraadt () CVS OPENBSD ORG>
Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 14:56:59 -0600

Theo de Raadt <deraadt () cvs openbsd org> wrote:
Automated tools do not help because you still have to check for the
last category by hand, so you might as well read everything.

  That's like saying "'Make' doesn't help, because you can always fall
back to 'ls -l' and 'cc ...'"

  Automated tools HELP.  They are not ENOUGH.  I tried to make this
clear in the documentation for my scanner.  An automated scanner can
help to protect you against the obvious security bloopers.

But I insist; for me, as a source code auditor, tools like yours do
not help.

They are crutches.  I bet that most people will use your tool, and
then get a nice happy feeling thinking they are safe.

A complete source code read is needed.

I have deleted your comments on changing stdarg, since any changes
like that are not ever going to happen.