Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Security hole in Win2K's FTP server

From: Russ.Cooper () RC ON CA (Russ)
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 11:07:05 -0400

When NT 4.0 was in beta Microsoft implemented a licensing model on TCPIP
connections, such that NT 4.0 Workstation would not be viable as a platform
for anything other than a small personal web server. Tim O'Reilly, of
O'Reilly and Associates and WebSite, spoke widely about the problems such a
mechanism would impose on his company (as did others.) Since they did not
rely on IIS, and their code worked efficiently even on NT WS, they felt the
licensing was going to drive up the cost of using their web server software
by forcing the use of NT Server.

It would appear that MS have found another way to "encourage" the use of
Server for anything of note in the web space. Far from a Security hole, the
disabling of security features on W2K Professional would appear to be a
marketing vehicle to sell W2K Server.

I think its reasonable to say that basic security features should not be
used in this fashion, but its equally unlikely that an average W2K
Professional user is going to implement IP Filtering on an FTP server. It
could be argued that a corporate LAN might implement personal FTP servers on
all of its desktops, but I'd suggest its highly uncommon to do so. So MS'
expectation is that they are probably discouraging the use of W2K Pro on
public facing, larger volume, sites in favor of W2K Server.

They likely suspected that if they introduced licensing again in W2K like
they tried in NT 4.0, the hue and cry would come again. By disabling
features more commonly looked for in more professional environments (or at
least more savvy environments), they've provided a more acceptable (to them)
way of differentiating their products. The alternatives might be to
performance hobble W2K Pro (been done before by them.) Chances are their
marketing determined that their target customer base for W2K Pro wanted
performance over security (if anyone's surprised, I have land in Florida to
talk about.)

Call it a hole if you like, I doubt it will make a difference.

Cheers,
Russ - NTBugtraq Editor