Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: More wIRCSrv stupidity

From: alex () WNM NET (Alex Charalabidis)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 18:41:30 -0500

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Drew wrote:

Yo,

I saw USSRLab's post about wIRCSrv. I was considering posting about this
daemon a while ago, but decided against it because I didn't know if it was
still being maintained. So I went and downloaded the latest version to find
that it had the same bug... err.. feature. The feature/bug is the importmotd
command, which allows any IRCOp to set the motd to any file on the servers
hard-drive(s). Obviously enough, you trust the IRCOps on your server, but does
that mean you automatically trust them enough to view any file on your system?
I'm not too sure about that. :-)

Indeed, you're beating a dead and decomposed horse. Wircsrv, to the best
of my knowledge, is unmaintained and possibly entered the realm of
abandonware at least two years ago, due to "lack of interest" (I haven't
seen its author for even longer). Given that bugs are unlikely to be
corrected, I recommend that existing installations of it be replaced
with some other irc daemon.

-ac

--
Alex Charalabidis (AC8139)            5050 Poplar Ave, Ste 170
Systems Administrator                        Memphis, TN 38157