Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Netscape Communicator 4.7 exploit [NT/win2k].

From: zthompson () ATT COM (Thompson, Zach, CPG)
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 09:05:41 -0500

I tested this vulnerability on a Win2k Professional machine(AKA Windows NT
WS 2000) running the currently downloadable version of Communicator 4.7 and
found it to be vulnerable. After executing the test hyperlink on
beavuh.org's page on my client machine, I was able telnet to a remote shell
on port 6968 of my client machine.

**One thing to note though**

After clicking on this link, Communicator stopped responding and I let it
sit for about 3 minutes thinking it might come back. Eventually I had to
kill it with Task Manager. After killing Netscape, the remote shell was lost
on the target machine and the Telnet session was disconnected. This only
leaves a small amount of time for the malicious person to exploit the remote
shell before the end user kills Netscape for not responding.

You would think Netscape might post a patch since this is still a problem
with the version they have for download, and the exploit was posted over a
month ago.

-Z