Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Symlinks and Cryogenic Sleep

From: okir () MONAD SWB DE (Olaf Kirch)
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 23:12:07 +0100

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 05:34:45PM -0500, Mark A. Heilpern wrote:
Maybe I'm just naive, but it's my understanding that you cannot send signals
to a process you don't own unless you are root.

That's not true for setuid processes. You're allowed to signal a process
if _either_ the effective or the real uid match. Try running passwd in
one window, in another type killall -STOP passwd.

Olaf

--
Olaf Kirch         |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
okir () monad swb de  |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax