Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: strace can lie

From: pavel () SUSE CZ (Pavel Machek)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 23:18:20 +0100

Hi!

 >> Any ideas how to get rid of this problem?  It is nasty.  It is
 >> very nasty and makes strace unusable for anything
 >> security-sensitive.

 dM> Unfortunately, as long as the information is fetched from
 dM> userland by userland via ptrace, with an opportunity for it to
 dM> change before the kernel uses it, there is no hope for
 dM> eliminating the race.

 dM> If you really feel ambitious, you could try to make Linux support
 dM> ktrace. :-)

  I beleive there is a workaround: one can assign RealTime Scheduler to
debugger process (sched_setscheduler (strace_pid, SCHED_FIFO, p)) so it will
preempt any of processess being debugged. Of course, scheduling priority of
strace should be higher than one of process if process works under RT
scheduler too.

That will not work on SMP machine, and it will not be reliable on UP,
either (what if you hit pagefault? what if tracer accesses filesystem
and sleeps?).

                                                                Pavel

--
I'm pavel () ucw cz. "In my country we have almost anarchy and I don't care."
Panos Katsaloulis describing me w.r.t. patents me at discuss () linmodems org