Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: irix-soundplayer.sh

From: avalon () COOMBS ANU EDU AU (Darren Reed)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 11:58:55 +1100

In some mail from pda () ING PUC CL, sie said:

midikeys might not setuid these days but you get the idea...

Worked fine on Irix 6.4 here... although i had to change csh to sh for some
reason... csh returned permission denied, 4755 and all. I assume the fix is to
take out the suid bit?

Your problem here is that various csh's won't run setuid-root scripts unless
you specify (I think) the -b flag.  From the Solaris csh man page:

     -b        Force a "break" from option processing. Subsequent
               command  line  arguments  are not interpreted as C
               shell options. This allows the passing of  options
               to  a script without confusion. The shell does not
               run set-user-ID  or  set-group-ID  scripts  unless
               this option is present.

then again, maybe it was done deliberately to foil script kiddies ;)

Darren