Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: remote root qmail-pop with vpopmail advisory and exploit with patch (fwd)

From: kbo () INTER7 COM (iv0)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 22:35:09 -0600

I recommend upgrading to the latest version of vpopmail which fixes
the exploit. Pick up the current stable version:

http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail/

vchkpw - which authenticates a user with information from qmail-pop
up was storing the information in a staticly defined buffer. There
was no buffer over run checking done. Current stable version now
checks for buffer overruns in several places. A security
audit of the code is being done. Which it sorely needs.

Ken Jones
http://www.inter7.com/

Adam McKenna wrote:

In that case, what would you recommend?

--Adam

On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 10:53:31PM -0500, Russell Nelson wrote:
 > 5. Recommendation
 >
 > Impose the 40 character limitation specified by RFC1939 into qmail.
 > Apply qmail-popup patch http://www.ktwo.ca/c/qmail-popup-patch

I don't recommend applying that patch.  Every line of it is wrong.  It
makes qmail-popup less secure, by inserting a call to syslog(), which
is a security disaster. It also sucks in the string library, which
includes the well-known security hole sprintf().

--
-russ nelson <sig () russnelson com>  http://russnelson.com
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | "Ask not what your country