Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerabilities in Checkpoint FW-1 version 3.x and maybe 4.x

From: vanja () RELAYGROUP COM (Vanja Hrustic)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 17:33:24 +0700

root wrote:
The workaround is to use Checkpoint's encrypted authentication program
"SecuRemote" and not allow clear text authentication (browser based,
telnet, etc.) to destinations beyond the firewall.

But you can still authenticate to the firewall, using SecuRemote - and
have unlimited number of tries. FW-1 will let you know if username
exists or not. It was tested with V4.0.

The default configuration in FW-1 allows for rlogin management of the
server.  The rlogin prompt is avaialable on all NICs.  Unless a rule is
placed in your ruleset to drop or reject all connections to the
firewall, the authentication problem above can be used to remotely
administer someone elses firewall without them knowing.

To be honest, I don't think there is a 'default' configuration of
Firewall-1. I am not a FW-1 reseller, and I can not say if there are any
'procedures' that resellers are supposed to follow, but so far I've seen
few completely different setups of FW-1 (on Solaris). One machine was
completely 'stripped down', another one had few rpc services running
while some other one had absolutelly *everything* running. From the
outside, you can't do anything, so it's not such big deal, but once you
manage to get in internal network - it is piece of cake to 'own' a
Firewall-1 box. Not because of Firewall-1 vulnerabilities, but because
of Solaris bugs and bad firewall rules (admin not barring access to fw
from internal network). I don't think it is a Firewall-1 problem (the
problem #2); it's more of a sysadmin problem

Very good document about stripping Solaris can be found at:

http://www2.checkpoint.com/~joe/strip-sunserver.txt

You can find some other interesting documents there as well.

http://www2.checkpoint.com/~joe/

--

Vanja Hrustic
SAFER Editor

SAFER - free monthly security newsletter