Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Some discussion in http-wg ... FW: webmail vulnerabilities: a new pragma token?

From: Ryan.Russell () SYBASE COM (Ryan Russell)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 11:44:06 -0800

A couple of comments in a couple different directions...

Eric states that there will be implementation issues.

To be nastier about it, if the browser vendors can't shut off
Javascript when I hit the checkbox, why think they could
do it by following an HTML directive?

And to pre-hack the idea.. chances are that I'm going to be able
to do something to escape the headers... i.e. I'll find a way to start
a new set of headers, perhaps opening a new frame.

It would be nice if there were on an HTTP header that, if sent to the
client, would cause the client to disable javascript, vbscript, etc. for
that document only. Sites who wished to display untrusted pages (webmail
sites, web discussion forums, etc.) could then use a multi-frame layout.
Any frame that contained untrusted code would have this header included in
the delivery of its content to ensure that the scripts would not be
evaluated, regardless of the normal client settings; other frames, whose
"trusted" documents would be sent without this header, would still be able
to use scripting (if enabled on the client).

I don't want to discourage the idea neccessarily, just pick on the
browser vendors.  Perhaps they'd have a better chance of
getting it right the first time that way.

On a different tangent:

Several folks suggested that all tags be stripped unless they are
"known safe".

Doing so will kill your ability to mail around C code, unless you
HTMLize it first.  If you don't, all your #<includes> will dissappear,
and perhaps the rest of the note if it's waiting for a #</include> :)

                         Ryan