Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: problem with SNMPc

From: stefan.schneider () COMSAT COM VE (Stefan Schneider)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 17:45:05 -0400

Same thing with older (4.2 and 4.3) versions, autodiscovery is turned on by
default and in some cases it can hang systems with non fully compliant SNMP
agents (As we discovered when it hung some Wireless Acess Points in our
network), as well as the system (The autodiscovery feature is a real resource
hog) specially if you also run MRTG on the same machine.

Older versions doesn't ask for a seed router but start by taking the default
route and querying the known networks (default and internal) and then running an
incremental scans of all IP blocks including the Private Class A,B and C blocks.

The product is nice and offers a lot of functionality but the autodiscovery
process is deffinitely a minus (OpenView behaves better).

Marc Cozzi wrote:

Funny, I reported this to Castlerock several months ago. At that time they
showed
little intrrest in the problem. Indeed this does asks for a seed router to
start autodiscovery.
If you are new to the program, and who's not with a new version, it's
difficult to find
the configuration to turn the thing off! The multiple polls also seem to
crash some
Windows based FTP daemons.