Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: MS IIS 5.0 Access Violation on handling URL String

From: mnemonix () GLOBALNET CO UK (David Litchfield)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 17:54:14 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: Lark Lizerman <webmaster () DOC2000 DE>
To: <BUGTRAQ () SECURITYFOCUS COM>
Sent: Friday, January 14, 2000 3:05 AM
Subject: MS IIS 5.0 Access Violation on handling URL String

<SNIP>
I have 2 screenshots where 2 of the messages are displayed.
The system I have tried it out is a cluster where each backups the other on
case of failure.
Because of that reason I can not guaranteed say if the process dies or not,
because I got redirected to another server.

<SNIP>

IIS5 on Windows 2000 has a resilience system built in where if the
inetinfo.exe process crashes it will automatically restart - the program
that does this is %systemroot%\system32\iisreset.exe with a /fail=failreason
option. This causes an errorlog to be written to the event log and IIS5 is
brought back up. This is good for websites that require maximum uptime.

Cheers,
David Litchfield
http://www.cerberus-infosec.co.uk/