Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Anyone can take over virtually any domain on the net...

From: homer () LIGHTLINK COM (Homer Wilson Smith)
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 11:37:55 -0500

     There have been a number of times when a customer of ours wishes to
move a domain to us.  Latest case, they had a domain with another
provider, and the admin and billing contact were listed under
name () domain com of the owner.  For whatever reason his e-mail at
domain.com was not working, part of why he wanted to change to us, so he
was able to send in the change request but not receive the ack reply.

     I called the ISP, and they were *CLUELESS*, argued with me about how
they weren't the Tech Zone Contact, until I pointed out they were on the
internic whois, then they argued with me that it was the customers fault
for making them the Tech Zone Contact etc, I mean REAL stupid. But they
refused to put through the change form or ack it.

     So I changed my e-mail address in Eudora to the customers address
at his domain.com, and sent in the modify request.  It went through
without hassle.

     Done this twice in my life, for basically the same reason, worked
both times.

     Homer

Homer Wilson Smith   Clear Air, Clear Water,  Art Matrix - Lightlink
(607) 277-0959       A Green Earth and Peace. Internet Access, Ithaca NY
homer () lightlink com  Is that too much to ask? http://www.lightlink.com