Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Anyone can take over virtually any domain...

From: bmueller () CREOTECH COM (Brian Mueller)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 23:33:13 -0500

Actually, it goes MUCH farther than what has been mentioned here thus far.
I run a commercial webserver, and I run my own DNS for that webserver.  Once
a while back we migrated all of our DNS information from a slower machine to
a faster machine.  Rather than renaming the hostname and IP address of the
new machine we gave it a totally new hostname and IP address.  Now I was
faced with a problem.  I had a *lot* of websites that needed to have their
entries at network solutions changed to point to the new DNS servers.  Well,
I decided to give it a shot and I sent Network Solutions an e-mail stating
my problem and my intended solution, along with a list of all of the domains
which needed to be changed to a new DNS server.   They did it without asking
anymore questions, and without sending notification to all of my clients.
This raises the question.  What about stealing an entire DNS server and
pointing it to your own box?  I did it with my own servers, why couldn't
anyone else?

Brian Mueller

Brian Mueller
President/CEO