Bugtraq mailing list archives

SV: IIS still revealing paths for web directories

From: kristoffer.ustad () WINGE NO (Kristoffer Ustad)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 09:09:02 +0100

In my opinion this is a big deal. Forgot the RDS exploit found by Greg
Gonzalez?
In the past months a great deal of webpages have been defaced. A majority of
theme were hosted on IIS4 servers.
r.f.p. wrote an exploit I think was called msadc.pl.  What this exploit did
was letting you into a cmd /c shell. issuing a "echo" command from this
shell will able you to do uhm.. a whole lot.
including overwriting the index.htm/l file.
But, alot of lamers got their hands on this exploit, but they weren't able
to locate the index file(a lot of people rewrote the exploit so that it
scanned for the index file, probably using this bug
http://www.microsoft.com/anything.ida)

Kristoffer Ustad
Computer Consultant(in need of job)

        Vanja Hrustic wrote:

This has been mentioned before, but it's probably good to remind
Microsoft about some outstanding issues.

Request : http://www.microsoft.com/anything.ida
Response: The IDQ file d:\http\anything.ida could not be found.

Request : http://www.microsoft.com/anything.idq
Response: The IDQ file d:\http\anything.idq could not be found.

Microsoft is running IIS5

The same problem still exists on IIS4 (tested with SP5 - didn't try on
SP6).

It's not really a big deal, but they should fix it.

--

Vanja Hrustic
The Relay Group