Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [Hackerslab bug_paper] Solaris chkperm buffer overflow

From: teddi () LINUX IS (Theodor Ragnar Gislason)
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 21:47:26 +0000

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000, Brock Tellier wrote:

[Hackerslab bug_paper] Solaris chkperm buffer overflow

[Hackerslab:/users/loveyou/buf]$ chkperm -n `perl -e 'print "x" x 200'`
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

it is recommended that  the suid bit is
removed from chkperm using command :

chmod 400 /usr/vmsys/bin/chkperm

Hrm, yeah, I found this one some months ago while I was checking out chkperm's
ability to read bin-owned files.  After some testing I concluded that, at
least on SPARC, the function where the overflow occurs will exit() before it
is allowed to return (and then return again), meaning that a buffer overflow
exploit is probably not possible.  I would be interested to see if anyone came
to a different conclusion.

I also noticed this bug some time ago under similar circumstances and I
concluded that it is _NOT_ exploitable under i386.

-

DiGiT