Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Disk (over)quota in Windows 2000

From: pgut001 () CS AUCKLAND AC NZ (Peter Gutmann)
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 17:55:40 -0800

Dave Tarbatt - ACS <D.A.Tarbatt () BOLTON AC UK> writes:

I've been looking into disk quotas under Windows 2000 and have uncovered a
few anomalies. On top of a few peculiarities there appears to be a bug which
allows a user to exceed their disk quota by as much as they wish.

[...]

I discovered by experiment that new files can be created upto a size of
(Quota - UsedSpace  + 2KB - 1byte), i.e. they can go overquota by up to 2047
bytes. Not too much of a problem. Extending existing files can be up to
(Quota - UsedSpace +1KB -1byte) i.e. up to 1023 bytes overquota - nothing
much to be worried about.

Isn't this just a cluster-size filling issue?  It looks like accounting is
being done on a bytes-used basis but files are managed on a per-cluster basis,
so it's possible to extend files out to fill the cluster without coming into
conflict with the quota system.

Peter.