Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: SSH & xauth

From: cazz () RUFF CS JMU EDU (Brian)
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 15:02:26 -0500

Ok, just to make sure everyone completely understands my previous post
about SSH & xauth.

The whole issue is that by default the *SSH CLIENT* automagicly
requests xforwarding from the server if the client was run during an x
session.

The *entire* reason for the above post was NOT to alert people of a
new hole, just to make SSH users aware that by default the SSH Client
is set up to allow a trojanized server control of their x session.

This is more significant than trojanizing the SSH server.  There is a
large amount of control given when X forwarding is on, far beyond the
control of just what goes on in that ssh terminal session.

For absolute security, a client should always give out trust in the
smallest portions available.  Trusting X tunneling by default is not a
good idea, and should be turned off.  As stated in previous postings,
if you must use X, use Xnest.

If this was unclear in my previous post to bugtraq, then I am sorry.

--
Brian Caswell <cazz () ruff cs jmu edu>
I can levitate birds. Nobody cares.  --- Steven Wright