Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: flex license manager tempfile predictable name...

From: Philip.Edwards () WPAFB AF MIL (Edwards Philip M Contr AFRL/SNRR)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:23:31 -0500

Roelof JT Jonkman <rjonkman () ITTC UKANS EDU> wrote:

Flex does not need to run as root:

Somewhere on their webpage they have some scripts, I crafted
some myself, and
didn't see a need to run a license manager as root.

We use software that comes with FlexLM, and their[*] documentation states
that lmgrd should specifically /not/ be run as root.  Some of the wrapper
scripts shipped with the software perform a UID check and bail out if root
is running the script.

All of the license manager startup scripts do a "su <foo> -c startupcommand"
where <foo> is some mortal user with few abilities.

Phil
[*] The vendor/third-party software itself.

--
Phil Edwards  <philip.edwards () wpafb af mil>
Senior Unix Sysadmin AFRL/SNRR