Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: 'cross site scripting' CERT advisory and MS

From: flynngn () JMU EDU (flynngn () JMU EDU)
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 06:54:09 -0500

David LeBlanc wrote:

What I recommend specifically for using Outlook (probably also applies to
other mail readers using IE as a HTML viewer) is:
1) Set it to run in the Restricted Sites zone
2) Edit the Restricted Sites zone into what I call maximum paranoia mode -
turn EVERYTHING off.  IIRC, cookies are off to begin with, but this gets
them turned off for sure.

Wouldn't it be better to set the Internet zone for high security and
then set the browser to use the Internet zone? The restricted zone requires
entering the list of untrusted systems while the Internet zone says
"everything that is not in the trusted zone gets the default security
settings".

Here is what I've been recommending:
http://www.jmu.edu/info-security/engineering/issues/apps/outlook.htm

Gary Flynn