Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Exploiting Kernel Buffer Overflows FreeBSD Style

From: Alfred Perlstein <bright () WINTELCOM NET>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 21:39:12 -0800

* Esa Etelavuori <eetelavu () CC HUT FI> [001228 13:50] wrote:

            Exploiting Kernel Buffer Overflows FreeBSD Style:
          Defeating Security Levels and Breaking Out of Jail(2)
                             Esa Etelavuori
                           December 28,  2000

1. Introduction

This is a detailed case study discussing the exploitation of the FreeBSD
kernel process filesystem buffer overflow vulnerability [7]. This is
FreeBSD/i386 specific, but some of these techniques are applicable
to other systems, and perhaps give a new insight to regular buffer
overflows.

You didn't mention that you contacted us about this over a month
ago and the bug seems to be patched in both the stable and devel
versions of FreeBSD as well as 4.2-release.

revision 1.22
date: 2000/11/01 19:38:08;  author: eivind;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
Fix overflow from jail hostname.

Bug found by:   Esa Etelavuori <eetelavu () cc hut fi>

Thanks for delaying your announcement and giving such a detailed
release.

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [bright () wintelcom net|alfred () freebsd org]