Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Cisco 675 Denial of Service Attack

From: CDI <cdi () THEWEBMASTERS NET>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 14:37:34 -0800

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Shane Youhouse wrote:

[snips]
Did you ask CDI to help?

Did he refuse?

Yes they did and no I didn't respectively. When they were unable to
replicate the problem I sent them the step-by-step used to configure the
675 for PPP. I even told them that if they wanted to set up a 675 and
provide me with the IP I'd be happy to crash it for them.

CDI should have gone public with this about 10 1/2 months ago.

I'll swallow that and say you're absolutely correct, but...

Yes, more script kiddies would have known about it, but I also would
have been complaining to the ISPs who where forcing the Cisco product on
us to either get a new product, or would have gone with a different ISP
/ Router.

I have on more than one occasion pounced all over slow-to-respond vendors
and Yes, I definitely sat on this far too long. Guilty as charged. Mea
Culpa.

In this case however, there was substantive dialog with Cisco and each
time over the months that I came close to disclosure, Cisco PSIRT would
let me know that they were still working hard on a fix. With the number of
vulnerable 67xs out there I felt that the uninformed and sometimes
uninformable masses using 67xs were better protected by non-disclosure.
As you noted, the DoS was in the wild, but you still couldn't search for
it on Packetstorm or SecurityFocus and hence, flying under the radar of
most script kiddies.

CDI
The Web Master's Net
http://www.thewebmasters.net/
Today's Excuse:
Failure to adjust for daylight savings time.