Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Solaris patchadd(1) (3) symlink vulnerabilty

From: Paul Szabo <psz () MATHS USYD EDU AU>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:00:20 +1100

Jonathan Fortin <jfortin () REVELEX COM> wrote:

When patchadd is executed, It creates a temporary file called
"/tmp/sh<pidofpatchadd>.1" , "/tmp/sh<pidofpatchadd>.2 ,
"/tmp/sh<pidofpatchadd>.3  and assigns them mode 666 ...

I guess that patchadd is a "sh" script using the "<<" construct, this
being an instance of the bug I reported recently:

  http://www.securityfocus.com/templates/archive.pike?list=1&msg=200011230225.NAA19716 () milan maths usyd edu au

This is essentially the same as the tcsh bug fixed recently in other OSs.

Paul Szabo - psz () maths usyd edu au  http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics  University of Sydney   2006  Australia