Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [hacksware]Pine temporary file hijacking vulnerability

From: "Christopher X. Candreva" <chris () WESTNET COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 19:32:38 -0500

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Peter W wrote:

It would be nice if there was an easy, portable way to ensure safe temp
file operations (mkstemp()?) but in the meantime, don't panic. Set safe
values for TMP and TMPDIR and Pine behaves well.

I've just tried this under Solaris 8, pine 4.30, and with both $TMP and
$TMPDIR set, Pine is still writing to /tmp

There is another, more global, solution.  the AMD automouter from
cs.columbia.edu (now distributed as am-utils) has included a program called
hlfsd (Home Link File System Daemon) for a number of years.   It was
designed as a simple way to have users e-mail delivered to their home
directories instead of to /var/spool/mail .  It uses the automounter,
watches the directory it's told to, and redirects requests to that directory
from a user to a dir in their home directory.  Users think their mail is in
/var/spool/mail/username, but it's really in
/home/path/username/.hlfsdir/username

I think that program stock, with different options, should be able to do the
same thing to /tmp very easily. Every program will now write safely to /tmp,
who cares how it's written.

The home page for am-utils is http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~ezk/am-utils/

This is pure theory, but I may try this out on a test system tomorrow.

-Chris

Chris Candreva  -- chris () westnet com -- (914) 967-7816
http://www.westnet.com/