Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Foolproof Security Vulnerability

From: H D Moore <hdm () SECUREAUSTIN COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:12:10 -0600

I once had the privilege of having to reconfigure a huge group of machines
running Windows 95 and the current FoolProof software, without the aid of the
FoolProof admin password.  The best way to bypass the system is by creating a
Visual Basic macro in Word, and code up a run window and registry editing
system via the Win32 API (you can disable FP from the registry).  I copied
the macro'd document onto a floppy and made my rounds, disabling FP and
changing the network settings via a single button. Every FP/Windows
installation I have seen allows the MS Office suite to be run, allowing full
access to the system via the VBA macro interface.  The same holds true to
other Desktop "security" programs (WinShield, SherLock).

-HD

http://www.digitaldefense.net (work)
http://www.digitaloffense.net (play)